*Relentless execution. Get that right and you are ahead of the game.
Too many people are not awesome at relentless execution. I repeat: they are not awesome at relentless execution. (Clue: take a look in the mirror!)
This post will be a short series of profound quotes on the subject.
Most of the quotes have been found via Tom Peters. And we finish with a poem! These people have nailed what I am trying to say far better than I am able. These quotes are all you need to know about strategy. Read, digest and meditate on their meaning.
1. Execution is strategy. – Fred Malek
2. The art of war does not require complicated manoeuvres; the simplest are the best and common sense is fundamental. From which one might wonder how it is generals make blunders; it is because they try to be clever. – Napoleon
3. In real life, strategy is actually very straightforward. Pick a general direction… and implement like hell. – Jack Welch
4. No plan survives contact with the enemy. – Helmuth von Moltke
5. A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week. – General George Patton
6. Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics. – Omar Bradley (Commander of the US troops on D- Day)
(I hope the irony of this quote is not lost on you.)
And finally, a poem, attributed to Benjamin Franklin:
For the want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For the want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For the want of a horse the rider was lost,
For the want of a rider the battle was lost,
For the want of a battle the kingdom was lost,
And all for the want of a horseshoe-nail.
To quote Tom Peters, it could be as simple as this:
When you talk all the time about execution, it’s likely to happen. When you don’t, it doesn’t.
So, what do you talk about?
Need help with creating a strategy for sublime execution across your brand? We can help with some GYDA coaching.
* The efficient, timely, consistent production and delivery of goods or services.